Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Driving to Tucson, December 20, 2012

December 20, 2012 drive from New Mexico to Tucson was a big contrast to the day before when the wind was so bad. At one of the rest stops I met this little girl who was literally bouncing with joy to be out of her car. Her mother said she was bored but it looked to me like she found a creative way to spend the travel time.

I followed the “Thing” with great anticipation but when I got to it I was disappointed and drove on by.


One of the roadside parks gave some history of the area and had picnic tables appropriate to the state.

The sign said, "Basis and Range province of southwest New Mexico is of broad alluvial plains from which isolated fault block mountains rise like islands in a sandy sea. Indigenous peoples have used both the basis and range in their seasonal cycle. The Victorio Mountains to the south yield zinc, silver, gold, copper, lead and tungsten. "

This was also a road used in the past by Mormons. Below is the marker.


Soon I crossed the Continental Divide. I’m sure I will cross it several more times while on my journey.


I pressed onward to Tucson, Arizona.

No comments: