Sunday, March 10, 2013

Sonny Bono Salton Sea National Wildlife Refuge


Rising early I drove to Sonny Bono Salton Sea National Wildlife to meet the birding group for another day of birding.  The first thing we saw was the Barn Own trying to get some sleep, high in the palm tree at the entrance to the visitor center. 

I was the first one at the center because I was determined to see a Common Ground Dove which would be a life bird for me.  My efforts were rewarded with several of them.

We took a walk out into the refuge where I found a Desert Whitetail Rabbit.

We drove around more and found more birds but I was not able to get good photos of them. An Aberts Towhee was another life bird and I am sorry I didn’t get a photo.

The group broke disbanded and we headed back to our respective homes.  I was staying at the Salton Sea State Recreation Area where I found more birds.  There are lots of dead fish on the shoreline because so many birds pull them out of the sea and take only a few bites and then leave them. Did you know this sea is saltier than the ocean.


Talapia is the most common fish but I did see this really big ugly catfish which was about 2.5 feet long.

It was strange walking on the shoreline because it was crushed barnacle shell and not really sand.

Here is a close up view of the beach. When I walked on the dark gray part it sunk down to the water.

There is a small docking area at the campground and it seemed to be taken over by Black-necked stilts.
“Hurry, class is about to start”

“Now, pay attention class. Today’s lesson is on how to pose for tourist.”

“Hey, can you keep it down over there were trying to teach a class here?”

It was a good class but in every group there are lazy students and students that stand out.

C’est la vie.

No comments: