Thursday, February 6, 2014

EBR-1

June 7, 2013

EBR-1 is the acronym for Energy Breeder Reactor One, now a National Historic Landmark. It wasn't my normal kind of stop but it did sound interesting and it was way out in the middle of nowhere.


On December 20, 1951, EBR-1 became the first power plant in the world to produce usable electricity using atomic energy.

After that day until decommissioning in 1964, EBR-1 generated enough electricity to supply all the power for its own building whenever the reactor operated.  This was how it all started.



One wonders how the world would be different if they had developed solar energy at that time, but they didn’t. 

There was only one other person there at the time of my visit. If I remember correctly this is the reactor. It all seemed so cold and industrial and didn't really hold my interest.


When I finally arrived back into town I stopped this car and had to take a photo, since it seemed so appropriate.



I drove onto Falls Campground National Forest where I spent the next two nights. I saw my first moose there on the banks of the Snake River but I didn't have my camera with me. Here is a photo of the Falls.


1 comment:

The Furry Gnome said...

That looks like quite a waterfall!