Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Anza-Borrego Insipiration Wash


 
Eager to start the day I rose with the birds and was treated with a new life bird, the White-winged Dove.  Notice the white edge to its wing.

 
Another bird nearby was a Eurasian Collard Dove which has a dark semi circle on its neck. 

I though the best one I saw was a Costas Hummingbird. 

But then a couple of Roadrunners showed up, and well it is hard to top a roadrunner even if they are common in this area.  They weren’t common to me.

 I followed then through the campground until I finally took a good photo. Whew, they are fast runners.
 
My plan was to join the park naturalist at a place called Inspiration Wash for a walk to look at flowers. The walk was beautiful with lots of fantastic vistas.

We only found two flowers a Mojave-Aster (Xylorhiza tortifolia).

 And a desert vetch.
 
After climbing a small hill I could look back and see the wash that we had just walked. 

From there I drove over to the Narrows Earth Trail which deserves its own blog, so look for it tomorrow.

On my way back to camp I passed some metal sculptures in the desert and stopped for a look see.  They were created by Ricardo Breceda for Galleta Meadows Estates in Borrego Springs. There are over 129 sculptures and I only saw a few.  I didn’t know there were so many until I came home and looked searched on the internet. 

 
I only saw a few and these are a couple of my favorites. Collectively they are called “Sky Art”, a blend of craftsmanship and placement in the open desert landscape.  Each piece I did see looked it came there on its own accord.

 


 

4 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Wonderful collection of photos! I love all the birds, especially the roadrunner and the hummingbird. The sculptures are cool too. Looks like a great place to visit. Have a great day!

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

What an amazing trip you are on! I love how you show us the animals and plants as well as the postcard views.

Cindy said...

Great shots! We've been to Inspiration Wash. And I'm glad you didn't get eaten by the giant bugs. That grasshopper almost got me last year!

Potomac Valley Nature Writing Group Reading List said...

Cool sculptures. That hummingbird was gorgeous. Like the copyright on your pix.